What is it?
Sunshine’s Peewees and Juniors are once-a-week developmental volleyball classes for 1st – 8th grade girls. We’ve designed these classes to introduce young players to the sport in a low-stress, fun environment. Our experienced coaches focus on developing basic skills – setting, passing, hitting and team play – everything players need to learn to play at the next level.
- 1st to 4th grade girls
- Meets Sundays from 4:00-5:30pm at Lincoln Middle School in Santa Monica
- Perfect for younger players who want to learn the game.
- All fun, no stress!
- 5th to 8th grade girls
- Meets Sundays from 5:30-7:00pm at Lincoln Middle School in Santa Monica
- Perfect for multi-sport athletes and those who want to compete but don’t want the commitment of a club team.
REgistration now open
2022 Developmental Program – Westside Peewees and Juniors
When AND how
- The first day of class is September 26th!
- Weekly practices from late September to June
- Club fee for the 2021-2022 season is $1000
- Our developmental programs provide young players with a chance to train and compete in volleyball with a minimal commitment
- Peewees and Juniors are being trained to compete at the next level, and receive the same elite-level training as our competition teams
- Uniforms are included in the fees.
Teams play in three tournaments
- Club-wide 11’s and 12’s tournament and ice cream social held mid-season (TBD)
- Regular SCVA tournament against other So Cal teams in the spring
• Pee-Wee’s tournament is Saturday, TBD
• Junior’s tournament is Saturday, TBD
- Program culminates in June with our annual Sunshine Soirée, a huge, club-wide tournament that will be held TBD. Our Westside, South Bay and beginners enjoy a day of volleyball, In-N-Out burgers and dancing.
To ensure Pee-Wee’s and Juniors develop a love of the game — and have fun learning to play volleyball with new friends.
WHICH PROGRAM IS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Parents often ask us whether their daughter should join our Peewee / Junior program or play on an competitive team. And this year Sunshine is adding a third option to consider – developmental 11’s, 12’s and 13’s/14’s teams with less practices, less tournaments (11’s) and no travel.
The biggest differences between the three options are the time and financial commitments and the program intensity. Here’s an overview of the programs offered at Sunshine’s West Los Angeles location.
peewees & juniors
Pee-Wee’s and Juniors are once-a-week developmental classes. No tryouts are required to participate. Each team will play in one SCVA tournament, which is usually held in Orange County. We’ve designed this class to introduce young players to the sport in a low-stress, fun environment. Players who have never played club volleyball will get a taste of what it’s like to be on a Sunshine team.
Sunshine offers several developmental teams for players who are ready to advance from our beginner’s program. These teams focus on player development, have less practices than our competitive teams, and do not travel.
- 11 Tornadoes has one practice a week and plays in up to five SCVA tournaments
- 11 Hurricanes and 12 Premier practice twice a week and compete in all 12’s SCVA tournaments
- 14/15 Premier team has 2x practice a week and plays in a limited number of SCVA 15’s tournaments.
Players need to attend tryouts to be placed on these teams. Tryouts are held annually the first weekend in October for 11’s – 14’s teams. See the tryouts page on this website for information.
Our Sunshine teams are more competitive and require a bigger time and financial commitment. Competitive teams practice three times a week (Sundays and two weeknights), participate in all SCVA tournaments (held about once a month in locations throughout Orange and L.A. counties) and travel to a Junior National qualifier and an end-of-season tournament.
Tryouts are held yearly the first weekend in October for 11’s – 14’s players who would like to join a club team. (High-school-age tryouts are the first weekend in August.) See the Westside tryout page for information about tryouts and pre-tryout clinics.